Subject: Re: [boost] [git] [conversion] Schedule and remaining showstoppers?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-22 22:52:18

On 22 Oct 2013 at 19:15, Dave Abrahams wrote:

> > In other words, they only consume disc space and bandwidth
> > for those who ask for them.
>
> Won't they appear in GitHub's menu and/or network graph?

You don't have to store refs under refs/heads/ or refs/tags/ which is
what GitHub appears to use for display. It would also appear that
GitHub only displays a certain depth of nested refs. This can be
proved by visiting https://github.com/ned14/boost-trunk/branches
where GitHub shows release as a branch, rather than a directory
containing many branches (which is surely a bug in GitHub, so I
wouldn't rely on this).

I would suspect GitHub also stores its own internal refs in magic
internal ref locations, so I'd suspect so long as they don't clash
you're probably safe.

The other option is to set git config to not push the svn refs by
default, so they're there for people bothered enough to run Boost2Git
for themselves.

> Not that I mind doing this; it'd be a fairly simple change to the tool,
> but we can always create these afterwards, FWIW, since the revnum is now
> contained in the commit message.

Very cool.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/