Subject: Re: [boost] [git] [modular boost] Switchover schedule proposal
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-27 20:36:56

Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Antony Polukhin <antoshkka_at_[hidden]> writes:
>>
>> I can answer one of your questions below:
>>
>> > - Can I merge and delete branches in GIT without affecting the whole
>> system
>> > stability (for example `conversion` library currently contains branches
>> > like `filesystem_V3`)
>>
>> If you're a library maintainer, yes. The only branches that you must
>> maintain for system stability are "develop" and "master." However, be
>> aware that some branches in the Boost super-project repository may be
>> referencing commits on your branches. It would be better to rename the
>> branch in question as a nested tag, e.g.
>>
>> refs/heads/some-old-branch
>>
>> becomes
>>
>> refs/tags/old-branches/some-old-branch
>>
>> then it will hide, but the commit won't disappear.
>>
>> Beman, it might make sense for us to make those changes as part of the
>> conversion.
>>

> Hum... It had not occurred to me that other libraries might be referencing
> commits on some of my libraries branches. I was planning to blow most of
> the old branches away. I guess that needs reconsidering, at least for the
> branches that are truly mine, and not just artifacts of conversion.

The only other library that references these commits is the Boost super
repository, because none of the other repos have sub-modules. The
corresponding branch history in the super-repository contains a commit
that updates submodule references each time a submodule is modified on
that branch... I hope that makes sense?

-Dave