Boost logo

Boost :

Subject: [boost] Introduction and Cray support. [config] [build] [atomic] [interprocess] [asio] [dump] [tr1]
From: Richard Dale (rsd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-29 13:54:15

Hello world,

My name is Richard Dale. I work at Cray, Inc.
My purpose here is to get the boost libraries and Cray C++ compiler to
work and play together better.

I have a couple of questions, but maybe some background first.

The first thing I plan to do is fix up the existing
config/compiler/cray.hpp and .../v2/tools/cray.jam files. With this
done, both the static and dynamic versions of most buildable libraries
build successfully.

The second thing is to address cray specific issues in the libraries
listed in the subject line. With the exception of tr1, these are all
preprocessor changes to avoid inline assembly, which the cray C++
compiler does not support yet, and probably won't anytime soon. The tr1
change is to provide a Cray version of the macro BOOST_TR1_STD_HEADER_NAME.

The third thing will be to "officialize" the cray compiler, so that it
gets picked up and used by default when it is the default compiler on
Cray systems.

The target is to provide good support for Cray C++ in the 1.56 release.

Once the configuration changes are done, we (Cray) will start running
the regression tests on a regular basis.

I'm a little uncertain as to how to proceed in the immediate term,
especially given the impending conversion to git. The idea of compiler
support is somewhat orthogonal to the notion of library support, and
there doesn't seem to be a well defined concept of compiler owner.

I seem to have couple of options.

The first option would be to get as much done as possible
pre-conversion. My assumption is that I would check everything into
the trunk, (The library changes are pretty trivial), using Trac tickets
to keep the library owners in the loop. I assume it is the individual
library owners who take care of the merges from trunk to
branches/release (master?), although I'm unsure where this falls on the
continuum between ordinarily true and always true.

The second option would be to wait until the cutover to git, and do the
workflow for making changes to a library owned by someone else. This is
probably the right thing, but I'm more fluent with svn than with git.

So, I guess I'm looking for advice and consent here. Please straighten
me out if there is something I seem not to understand.

For what it's worth, I've made myself "champion" for the Cray compiler.
I don't pretend to know everything, but if I can't figure something out,
I probably know who to ask. I'll take any Trac tickets relating to
Boost on Cray.


Boost list run by bdawes at, gregod at, cpdaniel at, john at