Subject: Re: [boost] [1.55.0] Release candidate 2 available
From: Sergey Cheban (s.cheban_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-06 05:23:57

On 06.11.2013 13:35, Andrey Semashev wrote:

>> Aren't there boost members/maintainers that will have access to all
>> official git repositories?
>> Authors should be easily able to pull and merge these changes in their work
>> repos afterward, if it's a different one.
> I can create a pull request, true. But until someone accepts it, the
> build is still broken. And if the library maintainer is unresponsive,
> this may lead to situations like the one we're discussing.
Git is a _distributed_ version control system. Different people should probably
have write access to different repositories. The release manager should probably
have his own set of library repositories and process pull requests for these
repositories. Individual library developers should have their own repositories.
They should create pull requests if they want to include their changes into the
next boost release.

If the library is broken and the library developer is unresponsive, anybody can
clone the repository, fix the bug and create the pull request to the release
manager. The library developer can merge this changeset to his repository later.

Currently, this newsgroup is used for pull requests:
- The release branch is now closed.
- I would like to merge 84402 to release.
- This looks ok to me. Please go ahead.
- Thanks. Committed as revision 86519.
- I would like to merge if possible this fix
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/86547 for this bug
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/9337 .
- In my opinion, it's too late for 1.55. We've already rolled RC2, and the
release has already been delayed.

--
Sergey Cheban