Subject: Re: [boost] sqlpp11: SQL for C++
From: Roland Bock (rbock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-11 07:53:09

On 2013-11-11 11:27, Rodrigo Madera wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 8:03 PM, Roland Bock <rbock_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
> Hello,
>
> Just curious over some points:
>
> Does it support binary transfers over the wire?
The library creates template expression trees for the queries. As of
now, the tree is serialized and sent to the database connector when you
call

db.run(query)

Result rows are currently to be returned from the connector's result
object as const char**, see database_api/api.h.

Both, the serialization of the query and the representation of results
rows as const char** are part of one possible interface, which happens
to work quite well with some databases. Since we have all information in
the expression tree, it should be possible to send queries and receive
results in different ways.

Can you send me links to respective database APIs? Preferably ones that
I can experiment with on Ubuntu?

> Does it support bulk operations?
You mean like multi-inserts? Not right now, but that wouldn't be too
hard to do, I think.
> Will it be C++11 only?
That's what I tried to imply with the '11' in sqlpp11 ;-)

All kidding aside:

  * C++03: I think It would be possible to translate the library to
    C++03 using boost MPL and BOOST_AUTO. I won't go there, personally,
    but feel free to do so.
  * C++14 and up: I have every intention to create respective sqlpp14
    and up.

Regards,

Roland