Subject: Re: [boost] sqlpp11: SQL for C++
From: Rodrigo Madera (rodrigo.madera_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-11 15:22:34

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Roland Bock <rbock_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 2013-11-11 11:27, Rodrigo Madera wrote:
> > Does it support binary transfers over the wire?
> The library creates template expression trees for the queries. As of
> now, the tree is serialized and sent to the database connector when you
> call
>
> db.run(query)
>
> Result rows are currently to be returned from the connector's result
> object as const char**, see database_api/api.h.
>
> Both, the serialization of the query and the representation of results
> rows as const char** are part of one possible interface, which happens
> to work quite well with some databases. Since we have all information in
> the expression tree, it should be possible to send queries and receive
> results in different ways.
>
> Can you send me links to respective database APIs? Preferably ones that
> I can experiment with on Ubuntu?

Roland,

Sorry I didn't see your reply. I even sent a second message without seeing
this.

Answering your question on database APIs for bin transfer, I don't know of
any. I always use top layers, like SOCI. I use it heavily.

If you wish to see details about binary transfer I suppose the SOCI authors
could give you pointers on those, and maybe the archives for this ML when
that discussion was going on. Not sure, though.

Regards,
Rodrigo Madera