Subject: Re: [boost] [build] File / path lengths difficult to manage on Windows
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-14 14:52:04

On 13 Nov 2013 at 19:31, Ben Craig wrote:

> I think this is being unrealistic. If we take this approach, then you
> should request every Win32 program that uses fopen, iostreams, or
> CreateFile without the magic marker to change their program to use a
> non-portable API. This includes programs like cmd.exe, explorer, bjam,
> 7zip, and countless others.

Mmm, you make a good point. Microsoft ought to flip the default
instead of everybody else making the change.

> I wish that "normal" Windows APIs permitted a higher maximum path
> length, but they don't. Reasonable Windows support means acknowledging
> this limitation.

I've bumped the notion of raising that limit to our friends in
Microsoft. Who knows, it may be possible for Windows 8.2!

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/