Subject: Re: [boost] [build] File / path lengths difficult to manage on Windows
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-14 19:52:44

On 15/11/2013 08:52, Quoth Niall Douglas:
> I've bumped the notion of raising that limit to our friends in
> Microsoft. Who knows, it may be possible for Windows 8.2!

As I previously mentioned, I don't think it's something they can do on a
version boundary, only on an ABI boundary (eg. 32-bit vs. 64-bit, or by
introducing new APIs).

There's just too much existing (and will not be recompiled) code that
has stack based char[MAX_PATH] buffers.

They can't even do the manifest-version-based shimming that they're
doing for some other things, as that's defined at the process level --
just because an application claims that it knows about a larger MAX_PATH
doesn't mean that all the DLLs that it uses does.

(Not that I wouldn't love them to try, I just wouldn't hold out much
hope for it.)