Subject: Re: [boost] typesafe printf with variadic template
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-14 16:38:25

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> On 14 Nov 2013 at 12:20, Michael Marcin wrote:
>
> > It seems a common example for C++11 and variadic templates is a typesafe
> > printf which is supposed to obsolete things like Boost.Format. However
> > there doesn't seem to be one usable out of the box.
> >
> > If this is really a large improvement shouldn't this facility be in
> boost?
>
> VS2013 doesn't implement enough of C++11 yet to implement typesafe
> printf. Once it does (VS2014), I'm sure we'll see it appear somewhere
> (maybe in the standard library rather than in Boost. Standard
> libraries already define more typesafe C functions when __cplusplus
> is defined).

Zhihao Yuan has been working on such a proposal for the standard library.
His most recent paper is
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2013/n3716.html, but he
got a lot of feedback from LEWG in Chicago, so there will be major
revision, presumably in time for the February meeting.

--Beman