Subject: Re: [boost] Subversion repository closing. Conversion to Git imminent.
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-22 18:32:18

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> On 11/22/2013 11:52 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:...
>

>> Please make no svn commits after that time. We will be adding a pre-commit
>> hook that prevents commits, but please do not wait for that becomes
>> active.
>>
>> After svn is closed, the conversion will be run one last time, and then
>> turned off. Then there is a week set aside for final validity checks,
>> testing, and general scurrying around. When that is done, the boostorg
>> repo
>> on GitHub will open for business. If everything goes smoothly, it may take
>> less than a week but if there are glitches it may take longer.
>>

> Can the boostorg repo on GitHub be pulled from at any time during that
> week or is the idea to wait until everything has been verified first.

The boostorg repos, both super-project and individual libraries, can be
cloned and that might be useful for some limited testing. For example,
creating a private branch "experiments" and making some trial changes and
commits.

But there is still a risk that any changes pushed up to the GitHub boostpro
public repo will get overwritten. This would happen if we decide to rerun
the conversion one last time to fix some showstopper that surfaces during
testing. So other than throw-away experiments, best bet is to relax, and
don't depend on the GitHub public repos until we post a message saying we
are totally live.

Useful questions, Thanks!

--Beman