Subject: Re: [boost] [conversion] Serious header integrity test failures.
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-25 09:07:56

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Daniel James <daniel_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> just tried:
>
> git clone --recursive -b develop git_at_[hidden]:boostorg/boost.git
> boost-develop
>
> And that worked fine.
>
> I think you're doing a recursive clone of master and then switching to
> the branch. In which case I think you need to use 'git submodule
> update --init' to initialise modules on this branch before updating
> (untested and possibly wrong).

At Dave's suggestion, I tried this last night:

git clone --recursive git_at_[hidden]:boostorg/boost.git modular-boost
cd modular-boost
git checkout develop
git module update

It worked fine, and that's what I used to run the develop header file
verification that worked correctly.

> Will most developers use this though? I imagine they'd check out the
> master and then use develop for the modules they care about.

Yes. I was just working on
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/TryModBoostto show what
developers would actually do. I'd gotten this far:

git clone --recursive git_at_[hidden]:boostorg/boost.git modular-boost
cd modular-boost
./bootstrap.sh
./b2 headers
git checkout master
git submodule update
cd libs/my-lib
git checkout develop

I tried to test the above, in modular-boost with develop checked out, and
ran into the same problem others have reported:

D:\modular-boost>git checkout master
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by
checkout:
        bootstrap.bat
        doc/test/test.svg
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can switch branches.
Aborting

We need to fix this ASAP, but that's a different thread.

Is the sequence of commands above what the developer of my-lib should do to
get started?

Thanks,

--Beman