Subject: Re: [boost] [conversion] Isolating the phantom file changes problem
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-27 09:25:19

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Daniel James <daniel_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> > On 26/11/2013 20:18, Quoth Jürgen Hunold:
> >>
> >> The reason for the "image/*" setting for svg was to have them displayed
> as
> >> images when viewed in a web browser. But those display settings can be
> >> better
> >> configured server-side. My experience is to have all text file eol-style
> >> "native" and mime-type "text/something" to get the best cross-platform
> >> integration. This is true even for .vcproj files as you can then
> >> script-edit
> >> them on Unix without problems.
>
> Changing subversion properties doesn't fix historical data, so it
> won't fix anything that we can't fix in git.

That's also my understanding.

> On 26 November 2013 23:34, Gavin Lambert <gavinl_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > Another possibility might be to explicitly mark all text files in
> > .gitattributes with eol=lf and then run the conversion; I think that
> would
> > fix the repository blobs, and then the eol attribute can be removed for
> > actual use.
>
> The conversion doesn't respect .gitattributes, that's why there's a
> problem. We can fix these issues in current and future versions by
> normalizing the files (as described in the gitattributes man page).

After doing a lot of reading of git docs and about how others dealt with
similar problems, that was also my conclusion. I'm wondering why others
haven't suggested renormalization?

Since we can't fix these files in historical versions we could re-run
> the conversion with gitattributes that unsets the text attribute for
> the problematic files (something like "*.bat -text", "*.vsproj -text",
> "*.svg -text"). Then in git update the gitattributes (to something
> like "*.bat text eol=crlf", "*.vsproj text eol=crlf", "*.svg text")
> and normalize the files so that it does what we want. We can script
> that, so it shouldn't require too much work.

As long as we are sure the .gitattributes are correct, and then
renormalize, why do we have to rerun the conversion at all? What am I
missing?

--Beman