Subject: Re: [boost] [conversion] Isolating the phantom file changes problem
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-27 10:47:45

On 27 November 2013 14:25, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> Since we can't fix these files in historical versions we could re-run
>> the conversion with gitattributes that unsets the text attribute for
>> the problematic files (something like "*.bat -text", "*.vsproj -text",
>> "*.svg -text"). Then in git update the gitattributes (to something
>> like "*.bat text eol=crlf", "*.vsproj text eol=crlf", "*.svg text")
>> and normalize the files so that it does what we want. We can script
>> that, so it shouldn't require too much work.
>>

> As long as we are sure the .gitattributes are correct, and then
> renormalize, why do we have to rerun the conversion at all? What am I
> missing?

If someone checks out an older version of a module (i.e. before
normalization) then they'll still have this problem. If the conversion
is rerun with gitattributes set as I described then I don't think they
will. It won't fix the files, it'll just tell git not to expect them
to have the correct newlines.

But this isn't a big deal, and there are possibly issues with this
approach, so it might not be worth it.