Subject: Re: [boost] [conversion] Isolating the phantom file changes problem
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-27 11:22:14

Daniel James <daniel_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> On 26/11/2013 20:18, Quoth Jürgen Hunold:
>>>
>>> The reason for the "image/*" setting for svg was to have them displayed as
>>> images when viewed in a web browser. But those display settings can be
>>> better
>>> configured server-side. My experience is to have all text file eol-style
>>> "native" and mime-type "text/something" to get the best cross-platform
>>> integration. This is true even for .vcproj files as you can then
>>> script-edit
>>> them on Unix without problems.
>
> Changing subversion properties doesn't fix historical data, so it
> won't fix anything that we can't fix in git.
>
> On 26 November 2013 23:34, Gavin Lambert <gavinl_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> Another possibility might be to explicitly mark all text files in
>> .gitattributes with eol=lf and then run the conversion; I think that would
>> fix the repository blobs, and then the eol attribute can be removed for
>> actual use.
>
> The conversion doesn't respect .gitattributes, that's why there's a
> problem. We can fix these issues in current and future versions by
> normalizing the files (as described in the gitattributes man page).
>
> Since we can't fix these files in historical versions

We could, but it would be lossy. Also, some files in SVN have the wrong
settings there. We decided it was not the conversion's job to try to
"fix" problems in SVN. But if someone can sort out what we really,
really want, it should be relatively easy to implement. The problem is
that nobody is sure what is wanted. Before going any further, IMO,
someone should generate consensus around a clear set of *unambiguous*
goals for the result.