Subject: Re: [boost] [conversion] Isolating the phantom file changes problem
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-27 11:15:50

Jürgen Hunold <jhunold_at_gmx.eu> writes:

> Hi Gavin,
>
> On Tuesday, 26. November 2013 20:06:00 Gavin Lambert wrote:
>> On 26/11/2013 19:54, Quoth Jürgen Hunold:
>> > boost.svn$ svn proplist libs/pool/doc/images/mb1.svg
>> >
>> > Properties on 'libs/pool/doc/images/mb1.svg':
>> > svn:mime-type
>> >
>> > boost.svn$ svn propget svn:mime-type libs/pool/doc/images/mb1.svg
>> > image/svg+xml
>> >
>> > And image/* marks this as "binary". We had this discussion weeks ago with
>> > noch real decision.
>>
>> Just curious: where is that rule coming from? If it's in the conversion
>> code (which seems likely), can it be changed to treat */*+xml as text
>> regardless of other rules?
>
> No, subversion will not do CRLF-conversion on binary files. This creates the
> same issues as explicit CRLF settings when doing the conversion on
> Unix.

Let me be very clear: it does not matter a bit what platform is used to
do the conversion. The bytes of every file are streamed literally from SVN
to Git.

https://github.com/ryppl/Boost2Git/blob/master/src/importer.cpp#L459

> And the conversion script

And please don't call it a script ;-)

> will have to use subversion commands in order to get the commits.

The conversion works uses the SVN API directly.