Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Line endings in bootstrap.bat on Windows
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-27 13:49:40

AMDG

On 11/27/2013 09:31 AM, Dave Abrahams wrote:

>> There are really two options:
>> a) Correctly preserve svn:eol-style, however git represents it,
>
> Git doesn't represent it.
>

>> so that the files produced by a git checkout are always binary
>> identical to those produced by svn checkout.
>
> How things are checked out by Git depends on a user's local settings
> (e.g. autocrlf), so there is no way we can represent things so that a
> git checkout is *always* identical to an SVN checkout.
>
> (Is the same true of SVN?)

Do I really have to spell this out explicitly?
I thought it would be obvious that (assuming
I understand how this works in git) autocrlf=true,
would mean that the git checkout should be identical
to an svn checkout on a platform where the native
line ending is "\r\n" and aurocrlf=false would
mean that it corresponds to a platform with "\n"
line endings.

I don't really care whether this is decided
via a configuration option or by platform.
Any other options that affect file contents
and have associated metadata in svn, should
be handled similarly.

Anyway, this property needs to be preserved
(I believe that what I just described is actually
satisfied), while /also/ satisfying the rule:
- A fresh git checkout shall not show any
uncommitted changes.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe