Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Line endings in bootstrap.bat on Windows
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-27 15:02:10

On 27 November 2013 18:49, Steven Watanabe <watanabesj_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Do I really have to spell this out explicitly?
> I thought it would be obvious that (assuming
> I understand how this works in git) autocrlf=true,
> would mean that the git checkout should be identical
> to an svn checkout on a platform where the native
> line ending is "\r\n" and aurocrlf=false would
> mean that it corresponds to a platform with "\n"
> line endings.

I believe this is possible by adding extra entries to a module's
gitattributes for files which don't match the existing settings. But I
also think it would a waste of time to add that feature to the
conversion program. The benefit would be minor and the subversion
behaviour in this case has not worked well for us.

The problem with subversion is that files are handled differently
depending on the local settings of the computer where the files was
checked in. We put standard settings on the wiki, but we really
couldn't expect everyone to change their subversion settings to suit
our opinions. Wildcard settings in gitattributes are better because
files will be handled uniformly.