Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Line endings in bootstrap.bat on Windows
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-29 14:52:35

On 11/28/2013 10:17 PM, Paul Mensonides wrote:
> On 11/28/2013 9:48 AM, Edward Diener wrote:
>> Please stop acting as if this is not an issue. Your naivete about how
>> tools, whether on Windows, Linux, or Macintosh work with any type of
>> line endings is just wrong. Sure it would be nice if this was not an
>> issue, but that is not reality.
>
> As much as I dislike Windows' CRLF, +1 to the above. It isn't just a
> matter of editors, but all text-processing tooling. Not even close to
> "doesn't matter anymore".

I don't think anybody imply that this shall not be fixed, at the very
latest as soon as the final conversion is done and Git repositories are
live.

The question is whether it is worth the risk, time, and effort involved
in running the conversion again with these changes applied to historic
commits in the git repositories. It is unlikely many people, if any,
will build passed versions of boost from modularized repositories. If
they do they can apply the needed changes for CRLF along with a number
of other tweaks that are needed to make things work.

my $0.02

--
Bjørn