Subject: [boost] Git hardlinks, and developing
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-04 08:40:48
OK so I've just been hit by my first Git SNAFU.
1) I checked out modular Boost as per
2) Changed libs/multiprecision to the develop branch also as per
3) Added some pending changes from the old SVN Trunk that I didn't commit
before the changeover.
4) Ran the tests and everything failed, even though it was passing on SVN
The issue was that the headers under boost/ were now *copies* of the last
release and no longer pointers to the new "develop" code. Interestingly
some of the hard links were updated when I ran bjam, but apparently not all
Running bjam -a fixes the issue, but it's a very easy trap for the
PS, one other very annoying issue for VC++ users:
1) Open a test file.
2) Select a #included boost file, right click and select "Open document".
3) Document opens, but gives you a copy under boost/ not the "real" header
4) Run away screaming after you've spent an XXX hours editing the wrong