Subject: Re: [boost] Call for Review: Boost.Test documentation rewrite
From: Peter A. Bigot (pab_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-03 07:58:18

On 01/03/2014 01:21 AM, Richard wrote:

> Boost.Test documentation rewrite:
> <http://user.xmission.com/~legalize/tmp/boost.test/libs/test/doc/html/>
>
> Please post all comments to this list.
>
> I've been working on this as time permits for a number of months and I
> think now things are "finished" enough to warrant wider review. It is
> a true rewrite using quickbook; I generally used the implementation
> source code as the answer to my questions about things while writing
> the documentation.
>
> Early snapshots were reviewed by Tom Kent, Alexander Lamaison,
> Paul A. Bristow and Julian Gonggrijp. A special thanks to them for
> providing me with useful feedback and suggestions.
>
> The main thing that still remains to be added is a detailed explanation
> of the floating-point comparison algorithms used by BOOST_REQUIRE_CLOSE,
> BOOST_REQUIRE_CLOSE_FRACTION and BOOST_REQUIRE_SMALL. The corresponding
> examples also need to be updated.
>
> The existing online documentation has had all the math symbols
> stripped out of it, so it is pretty useless. I'm probably
> just going to typeset the formulas with LaTeX and then capture
> them as images that are included in the documentation. (See
> <https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/9539>)
>
> I'm guessing that modular boost should allow me to clone libs/test,
> make all my changes there and then issue a pull request, but I'm not
> sure how far along things are with the git transition?

This says it documents version 1.22, but I can't tell whether that's
just because Boost.Test isn't independently versioned and the last
content update was in Boost 1.22.

The develop branch has over 200 changes that have accumulated since
2009, and as I understand how Boost releases are done it's this branch
that gets the most road time, even though it isn't what gets released.

Or maybe those changes don't actually affect users at all, though the
develop branch has commits that discuss a new implementation. I'm still
pretty confused about how Boost.Test evolves.

Peter