Subject: Re: [boost] Call for Review: Boost.Test documentation rewrite
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-09 10:32:26

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 3:25 AM, Gennadiy Rozental <rogeeff_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Beman Dawes <bdawes <at> acm.org> writes:
>

> > On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Richard
> > <legalize+jeeves <at> mail.xmission.com>wrote:
> >
> > > I'd rather document the current 1.55 release and move forward. It's
> > > already taken over 6 months to get to this point, I see no point in
> > > delaying any further.
> > >

> > With all reviews in favor and none against, it seems clear you should
> move
> > forward with this.
>
> I hoped I still have some say in this. I outlined my concerns in another
> post. I would prefer not to make any movement until we get to some
> consensus
> on these.

 Gennadiy,

1) The library hasn't had much attention for several years, so I'm
personally against further delay. While normally we wouldn't think of going
forward with a major docs rewrite against the wishes of the library
maintainer, you just haven't been responsive to documentation complaints
for what seems like eons of time.

2) One of the objectives of modularizing boost was so that we could
encourage wider participation, yet avoid giving boost-wide write
authorization to new contributors. It seems to me the work Richard is doing
is a very useful example of that.

3) Some of your complains, such as concerns about poor coverage of
layering, may be valid but shouldn't prevent moving Richard's stuff into
develop. We can make sure any issues are resolved before merging to master.

Since you have objected, I will poll the other release managers privately
before we move ahead.

--Beman