Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Fiber review January 6-15
From: Nat Goodspeed (nat_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-11 12:19:29

Niall Douglas said:

> I definitely need the ability to signal a fibre future belonging to thread A
> from some arbitrary thread B.

In other words, the case in which you migrate fibers from one thread
to another is not the only case in which fibers must be thread-safe.
If you have even one additional thread (A and B), and some fiber AF on
thread A makes a request of thread B that might later cause fiber AF
to change state, all fiber state changes must be thread-safe.

An application running many fibers on exactly one thread (the
process's original thread) is an interesting case, and one worth
optimizing. But I'm not sure how the library could safely know that.
If you depend on the coder to set a library parameter, some other
coder will later come along and add a new thread without even knowing
about the fiber library initialization. If there were some way for the
library to count the threads in the process, a new thread might be
launched just after the fiber library has made its decision.

Either way, the complaint would be: "This library is too buggy to use!"

Better to be thread-safe by default.