Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost.Sync] no master branch?
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-15 17:06:03

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 9:08 PM, Eric Niebler <eniebler_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> If it is an "early development stage", why is it in boostorg at all? Seems
>>> like it should be in the developer's own GitHub account.
>>
>> it was in trunk, but not in release. therefore it has a develop branch,
>> but no master. compare [1]. the functionality is not exactly new, but
>> broken out of boost.thread with some additions.
>>
>> tim
>>
>> [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/243511
>
> Can you please explain the purpose of splitting these libraries? The
> only reason given in that discussion is, "For example, one of the
> benefits I'd like to achieve with this is that synchronization
> primitives should become decoupled from the timing libraries.":
>
> Why is that desirable? Is that it?

Tim has already answered. I'll just mention that decoupling from the
time units is desirable because (a) in many cases you don't need time
units with synchronization yet you still introduce dependency on
Boost.Chrono and Boost.DateTime and (b) there is no way to use use
e.g. std::chrono with Boost.Thread without manually converting to
Boost time units.