Subject: Re: [boost] [Fibers] Performance
From: Thomas Heller (thom.heller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-16 10:29:54

On 01/16/2014 03:49 PM, Oliver Kowalke wrote:
> 2014/1/16 Thomas Heller <thom.heller_at_[hidden]>
>
>> I don't think so. Boost.Fiber builts on context and without a working
>> context implementation, the fiber is useless.
>

> because I don't get feedback about the implementation of an architecture,
> nor regression-tests exists, I should throw away the work.
> of course I let it in the library and wait if someone tests it and reports
> the bug. otherwise it would be impossible to get any feedback.

No objection of keeping it in the develop branch. But I think it is bad
practice to release a code which is not tested.

>> do you think I've a machine for each architecture at home? I can only
>>> write
>>> the code if requested by some users and I have to rely on the willing of
>>> community members to test the code on the specific hardware.
>>>

>> Absolutely. But context is shipped with code for PPC64 so it should be
>> assumed it works.

>> Yes, I got side tracked. I am not blaming you for not delivering a PPC64
>> Boost.Context implementation. When i get back to the project where i need
>> the context switch for PPC64, i will certainly get back to you. I was just
>> trying to point to a case where Fiber is not working (with no indication in
>> the docs or elsewhere). Sorry if you got the wrong impression.
>>

> after reading the postings of you and other members of your group I must
> get the impression you really try to dis me

I am not trying to diss you. My apologies if anything i said offended
you personally.

> Please keep in mind that I do this work only in my spare time (beside I've
> a family too), I've not the time as you in your daily work at the
> university.
> And then you and your fellows tell me that I'm to stupid - beside that some
> of the criticised issues are questionable - copy-and-paste error happen.

Sure they happen. Happen to everyone. Again, noone said your stupid, we
are just giving feedback about your work. As a side effect of our daily
work we happen to have gained some experience with the library you
propose and in addition think that performance should be an important
and critical feature of your library. That's all. No offense intended.