Subject: Re: [boost] [Fibers] Performance
From: Nat Goodspeed (nat_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-17 10:01:34

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 12:54 AM, Gavin Lambert <gavinl_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 17/01/2014 02:44, Quoth Oliver Kowalke:
>
>> As I wrote before - with thread you would have to scatter your code with
>> callbacks.
>> With fibers you don't - you could write the code as it would by
>> synchronous operations.
>> That makes the code easier to read and understandable.

> Boost.Asio already supports using Boost.Coroutine for that purpose; an extra
> library seems unnecessary if that is your target.

What if you're using an asynchronous API that's not Boost.Asio?

What if you're using several different async APIs?

Wouldn't you want something like future and promise to interface
between your coroutine and an arbitrary asynchronous API?

Then there's the lifespan question. In a classic coroutine scenario,
you instantiate a coroutine object, you chat with it for a bit, then
you destroy it. But launching a "cooperatively context-switched
thread" is more of a fire-and-forget operation. Who owns the object?
Who cleans up when it's done?

Then there's control flow. A coroutine has a caller. When it
context-switches away, it specifically resumes that caller. What if
you have several different coroutines you're using as cooperative
threads, and you want to run whichever of them is ready next?

Clearly all of this can be done with coroutines, yes. (Fiber does
build it on coroutines!) But it's a whole additional abstraction
layer. Must every developer facing this kind of use case build that
layer by hand?

> My understanding is that the new thing that Fibers tries to bring to the
> table is std::thread-like cross-fiber synchronisation. Which is something
> that only matters if you have fibers running in multiple threads, and does
> not seem related to the use case you're mentioning above, unless I'm missing
> something.

Consider a producer fiber obtaining input from some async source,
pumping items into a queue. That queue is consumed by several
different consumer fibers, each interacting with an async sink. All of
it is running on a single thread. That's just one example.