Subject: Re: [boost] Help please with Boost Discussion Policy
From: Norbert Wenzel (norbert.wenzel.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-23 06:20:38

On 01/23/2014 11:15 AM, PB wrote:
> Has moving discussion to a online-forum rather than a mailing list ever
> been considered? This would sort the top posting issue, make quoting
> easier, make FAQs more visible (stickys), section the messages better (no
> need to put library name in subject). It would also clean up my inbox from
> Boost-related emails.

I love that discussion, it comes up on every mailinglist now and then.
The usual answer is, that heavy users don't want to change the push
notification from several mailinglists to a pull notification in several
webforums.
I don't see how a webforum would solve a top posting issue, since one
can usually freely place the quote in the message posted. Sectioning
could be achieved by special mailinglists for special libraries, but it
would be an extra amount of work to subscribe to all. All the filtering
can already be done using a proper mailclient (which Outlook was not
when I last used it, don't know about current versions).
But you're right, I don't see how sticky messages could be solved using
MLs, except as a link at the registration webform.

Usually the final compromise is to refer to Gmane:
http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel, which can be used to
post from the web or via NNTP.

That's essentially a short summary of the 3 discussions on the same
topic I read in the last 6 months on other mailinglists. It might be a
different result on this list, but frankly I doubt that.

Norbert