Subject: Re: [boost] [git][predef] Pull fails
From: Ahmed Charles (acharles_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-27 11:38:33

> From: lists_at_[hidden]
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 12:51:40 +0200
> Subject: Re: [boost] [git][predef] Pull fails
>
> Andrey Semashev wrote:
>
> > What do you do when you want to update the repository when you have local
> > changes?
>
> I guess I don't do that - I always commit first. I'm sure there is a way to
> do it, but I keep away from any git corner cases. :-)

With git, there are commands which require a 'clean' working directory and stage/index, like rebase and there are commands which will work as long as there are no files with changes that would also have to change due to the command being run, like checkout.

If you don't want to have to understand which commands require what, my recommendation would be to always commit changes, frequently.