Subject: [boost] [modular-boost] Questions about development procedures and more
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-02 04:30:04

Hi,

Trying to start using modular boost (and git for that matter). I have
several questions about this. These are in no particular order:

1. Why does ./b2 headers on windows creates hardlink for each file instead
of directories? The process takes forever.

2. What the story about cmake based build? What state is it in? Can I try it
now? How? Can I help with anything to push this further? I got a bit of
experience with cmake since last time I see n this discussed.

5. What the status of testing of the new tree? How is it setup? Where can I
read it? Specifically I am interested in what being tested against what.

4. First command to switch to develop branch produces warning(?)

...\modular-boost\libs\test>git checkout develop
Previous HEAD position was 954d3ab... Thread: merge [81791]-tools dir
missing
Branch develop set up to track remote branch develop from origin.
Switched to a new branch 'develop'

Should I worry?

5. After I switched to development branch headers directory still "points
to" master branch files. Actually I am not sure what it points to now since
master files are nowhere anymore. How should I switch headers?

6. What the corresponding action with git, which does what svn up from root
of tree did before? What I am after is comamnd(s) which updates other libs,
but keep my lib as is (maybe merge changes from other developers). If "git
submodule update" is one of these commands, why does it takes forever on
fresh just cloned boost tree?

7. How do I run the test which will check how my changes affect other
libraries (their master branch at least). Should I just run the test from
root in my local copy? How do I test against develop branch of other libs
and develop branch of other libs against me?

8. Dependency specification. This actually a big question, which can be
split into several:

8.1 Is there place where I can see "released versions" for particular
library/submodule?
8.2. Is there way to tell which other boost submodules I depend on?
8.3 Can I specify specific release version I want to depend on (per
submodule)?
8.4 Can I somehow only checkout/pull the submodules I depend on?
8.5 Can I check which submodules depend on me and checkout only those?
8.6 Is there place where I can see which submodule version constitute
specific boost release?

9. One of the wiki pages refers to "git submodule summary" command. I do not
understand what this command supposed to do.

10. How do I create private branch? IOW branch which is not publicized on
github, but one I can share with the team?

11. This page is not clear to me:
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/PostCvtMergePoint

What do I need to do to merge my development branch into master, given that
it is significantly differ now (at the time of svn->git conversion)?

Thank you.
Gennadiy