Subject: Re: [boost] Udp Socket
From: Joseph Van Riper (fleeb.fantastique_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-03 12:12:45

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Shane Baker <sbaker_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I cannot comment on your program termination error.
>
> Regarding UDP being a connectionless protocol, errors may still be returned
> if the destination host is not reachable. These errors are returned via
> ICMP. You can see this with Wireshark or a similar tool.

As Baker points out, UDP still runs over IP, which is a routing protocol.
 If you send packets over UDP, it usually needs to reach a specific
destination.

If you have no destination in mind, you may broadcast your packets instead,
for any receiving interface to receive. To do this, you'd need to set the
'broadcast' option. If you do that, you probably also want to set the
do_not_route option as well, to limit how far such messages would broadcast
(although, practically speaking, most routers will likely prevent your
broadcast packets anyway).

- Trey