Subject: Re: [boost] Udp Socket
From: Shane Baker (sbaker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-03 11:41:58

I cannot comment on your program termination error.

Regarding UDP being a connectionless protocol, errors may still be returned
if the destination host is not reachable. These errors are returned via
ICMP. You can see this with Wireshark or a similar tool.

I suspect that you are calling async_connect() or connect() on your socket
and then using async_send() or send(). I haven't been using Boost for some
time now, but in my experience on other platforms, you might get the
behavior you want by using async_send_to() and send_to() instead. The
behavior in terms of receiving the ICMP errors is different when you use
the socket this way.