Subject: Re: [boost] [modular-boost] How to make "b2 headers" create symbolic links on Windows
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-03 15:21:21

On 02/03/2014 06:45 PM, Vyacheslav Andrejev wrote:
> Hello Gennadiy,
>

> GR> I do not really want to delve into details of our makesystem.
>

> You can run b2 with elevated privileges (aka as Administrator). It
> will make b2 detect symbolic links creation is possible. I just
> checked it.

I tried with limited luck to check the web for information on credential
requirements for creating symbolic links and junctions on various
windows versions. Does anybody know where to look for that or some
clever way to Google for this?

I suspected there where other and more convenient ways to be allowed to
create symbolic links than having Administrators membership or elevation
the command.

This is the most promising I found so far:
Provide SeCreateSymbolicLinkPrivilege privilege to the user who is
running the script. If the user is Administrator on the machine you may
need to turn off UAC.

But users with the right OS versions need to test so we can provide
better info to all. I only have Linux at home and I can not do this at work.

refs:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15320550/secreatesymboliclinkprivilege-ignored-on-windows-8

http://superuser.com/questions/148937/windows-server-2008-create-symbolic-link-updated-security-policy-still-gives-pr

http://superuser.com/questions/124679/how-do-i-create-a-link-in-windows-7-home-premium-as-a-regular-user