Subject: Re: [boost] Process for the Community Maintenance Team
From: Cox, Michael (mhcox_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-03 23:27:15

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 11:56 PM, Marshall Clow <mclow.lists_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2014, at 9:20 PM, Cox, Michael <mhcox_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Marshall Clow <mclow.lists_at_[hidden]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I’ve put up a set of procedures for the Boost Community Maintenance Team
> >> (CMT)
> >> on the wiki at:
> >> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/CommunityMaintenance
> >>
> >> Comments welcomed.
> >>

> > The CMT will operate on a "propose and review" process, where a change
> goes
> > through the following phases.
> >
> > 1. Someone decides to work on a bug/test failure/etc and announces this
> > on the mailing list.
> >
> > Will the CMT have it's own mailing list or use boost-devel? In the case
> of
> > a separate mailing list, you should add it to Boost's mailing list web
> page
> > and have a link to it.
>
> Already there - on the top of that page.
>
> The boost-maint [link] mailing list is where the team holds
> discussions and makes decisions.

Sorry, I missed that.

> [ snip ]
>
> > 1. Discussion may ensue on the ML about the best way to proceed.
> > 2. The code/tests/docs are developed and a pull request is made (on the
> > list).

I'm suggesting the above change to emphasize that a change should include
not only library code changes, but possibly also unit-tests and
documentation, e.g. bug fixes with new unit-tests and new features with new
unit-tests and documentation describing the feature.

> > 3. The request is reviewed by other members of the list. (repeat steps
> 3
> > and 4 as necessary)
> > 4. The request is committed to the "develop" branch by a CMT manager
> who
> > notifies the person who made the pull request.
> >
> > Just to close the loop...

The "close the loop" refers to 4 above. How will the person submitting the
pull request know that the commit has been made to "develop" (and start
looking for the successful test results). I'm suggesting the CMT manager
needs to notify the person submitting the pull request (and/or posting a
message to the mailing list) that the change has been committed to
"develop" (or does GitHub automatically do this?).

> > 1. The person who made the pull request is responsible for verifying
> all
> > the tests passed, and notifying the CMT manager when it is ready to be
> > merged to “master"
>
> I’m not sure what you’re suggesting here.
>
> There’s already a
> 6. The person who made the pull request is responsible to watching
> the test results, and notifying the CMT manager when it is ready to be
> merged to “master"
> on that page.

> I like your wording better, but I think you mean something more.

No, I'm just suggesting the wording could be better and more precise. The
"responsible to watching" sounds awkward.

Michael