Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-09 08:31:14

On 8 Feb 2014 at 22:55, Utsav Tiwary wrote:

> Thank you so much Mr. Niall. Your answer clarified a lot of things. I have
> ideas and I shall try to pen them down clearly. Also, I do not deny that I
> am not the most consummate programmer you would find, but just the fact
> that I have a keen interest in programming and the FAQ that said that the
> applicants need not be the most skilled ones, but the more passionate ones
> have motivated me to apply for GSoC 2014.

That is definitely the case here at Boost: we would prefer enthusiasm
and hard workers to absolute skill, but you must understand that
there is a minimum coding skill level. For example, if a student has
never used std::vector<T> before, they probably don't have the
minimum coding skill in C++ level we would need.

> Thank you for appreciating my
> effort. Also, could you please specify the deadline you expect of me to put
> the project idea in the proper format so that I try to get it done as early
> as possible ?

I know you will need a lot of time to look over existing Boost
libraries and to formalise the mathematics you are proposing. Usually
most features added to Boost are already implemented in some other C
or C++ or Python library out there, so a list of those and how they
solved your problem (or if they didn't solve your problem) proves you
did your prior art research correctly. Boost takes much more
seriously those who can prove they have researched the problem before
coming here with proposed solutions.

Send whatever you write to this list by the 16th, so one week from
now. Don't worry if you find writing down the work item hard, just
send us whatever you write.

Good luck!

Niall

---
Boost C++ Libraries Google Summer of Code 2014 admin
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2014