Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-users] Attn: We need GSoC 2014 mentors for Boost!
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-10 10:40:47

On 9 Feb 2014 at 17:24, Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:

> > Boost.Thread / Work-Stealing-Thread-Pool: This is something already
> > implemented as part of HPX (https://github.com/STEllAR-GROUP/hpx), we have
> > several work-stealing implementations, FWIW. Feel free to use.
>
> Again thanks. The intent is to have this in Boost.

Would HPX's implementation be easily portable to Boost do you think?

> > Boost.Thread / Scheduler-Executor: Note that there is a newer document
> > (D3904, sorry I have no direct link), which will be discussed next week in
> > Issaquah and I expect for it to be changed significantly.
>
> I'm aware of it. I have proposed on the std-proposal ML to turn the
> dynamic polymorphism on a static polymorphism, but I have not received
> any comments from the authors. IMO, the time scheduled operations are
> orthogonal to the executor and so I propose to have an adaptor that adds
> these operations to any model of Executor.

FYI Vicente some time ago I wrote to the relevant team at Microsoft
behind the "Improvements to std::future<>" paper giving my support
for your idea. You should also be aware that my next work item for
AFIO is to add metaprogramming to enable a .then(callable) way of
specifying completions to operations in the same style as futures or
any other async object. I intend this to be a stop gap temporary
implementation to tide me over until your fully featured
implementaton for Boost.Thread is under way.

Niall

---
Boost C++ Libraries Google Summer of Code 2014 admin
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2014