Subject: Re: [boost] Just another GSoC project idea: Create a Bjam clone based on the Boost libraries
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-10 12:15:21

AMDG

On 02/10/2014 12:38 AM, Roland Bock wrote:
> On 2014-02-10 08:20, Alligand Edouard wrote:
>> What about using that parser to create a tool that would transform bjam files into different files (ninja, make, cmake, etc.)?
>>
>> That would be very useful in order to integrate Boost libraries into existing projects.
>>

> Nice idea, +1
>
> And for people like me who cannot wrap their head around the logic of
> bjam files: Translate from ninja, cmake and co to bjam...

I don't believe that either of these
is really viable. CMake and Boost.Build
both use complete programming languages and
there is not a 1-to-1 mapping between the
target models. Not to mention that
Boost.Build and CMake handle relative
paths differently and translating them
correctly requires the ability to know
what is a path and what is some other
string, which is basically impossible.
Boost.Build to ninja or Boost.Build to
make is probably possible, as long as you're
willing to accept that all configuration is
handled during the translation (just like
CMake to X), since it's just a matter of
dumping the dependency graph.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe