Subject: Re: [boost] Refactoring tools/regression and tools/release into separate sub-modules
From: Ahmed Charles (acharles_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-11 16:15:57

> Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:59:00 +0000
> From: dnljms_at_[hidden]
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] Refactoring tools/regression and tools/release into separate sub-modules
>
> On 11 February 2014 08:22, Ahmed Charles <acharles_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > I just worked on this, the results are:
> >
> > https://github.com/ahmedcharles/regression
> > https://github.com/ahmedcharles/release
> >
> > And the additions to the superproject are:
> >
> > https://github.com/ahmedcharles/boost
> >
> > Let me know if you have any questions.
>
> Looks good, would it be possible to describe the method you used? As
> others might need to do something similar.

I used filter-branch --subdirectory-filter, basically. The only interesting thing other than that is that I also added a .gitattributes file to each commit using a --tree-filter so that checkout's of the history work well with file endings (or at least as well as they do currently).

Note that I didn't migrate tags over, mostly because I deleted the local copy before I realized that I hadn't pushed them. Anyways, if you want tags as well, I can just redo the commands tonight and upload new versions of the repositories.

> I think the next steps are:
>
> 1. Transfer the modules into 'boostorg', I think you can do that
> through github, although you might have to be added to a team if you
> don't have any write permissions in the organisation.

I don't have perms on any team, so I can't do that.

> 2. Change the regression testers to use the regression module. We need
> to do that before updating the super project as they download directly
> from it.

Ah, who do I have to coordinate with to get this done?

> 3. Once they're successfully using it, merge the super project.
>
> Does that sound right?
>
> I don't think the release module even needs to be a submodule, as
> nothing depends on it. Ideally the regression tests also shouldn't be,
> but I suspect some of the infrastructure relies on it.

In terms of steps:

1. Make sure the content is right (mostly whether tags are desired or not).
2. Move the repositories into the boostorg organisation (I can do this if I get permissions and signoff on step 1).
3. Figure out who needs to change the regression testers for this to work.
4. Determine if the superproject content should simply be deleted or if it should contain a submodule reference. (Who do I talk to about regression or release and whether they should be a submodule or not?)