Subject: Re: [boost] Getting started with Boost( GSOC)
From: Antony Polukhin (antoshkka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-01 11:03:18

> Hi Antony .I'm very sorry for sending the mail in that fashion.
> I'm Lalit , a 3rd year CS Undergrad from IIIT-Hyderabad , a
> renowned CS college.I'm quite comfortable programming in C++ and I'm an
> active member in programming sites like Codechef,Codeforces etc.I love
> using Linux operating system. I've always liked the Boost Libraries
> primarily because of their usefulness,efficiency etc.I felt like
> contributing to Boost Libraries this year through GSOC-2014.I liked
> the Boost.Document
> Project and I'm very eager to contribute to it as that library can be
> beneficial to a lot of people in many ways.

Hi again. Boost has a lot of students willing to contribute during GSOC.
You've chosen the project that nobody chose yet. It's a good advantage, but
we still need to make sure that you are good with C++ and that you are full
of enthusiasm.

That's why I proposed to start working on the Boost.Document project. I'd
like to see a program that opens a Excel/Calc document. This could be a
start point for further library development and will show your C/C++
knowledge.

> But I'm not acquainted with the codebase of Boost.So I'm looking
> forward to seek help and guidance from you to understand the project and
> make a good proposal for it.

There is no big need to understand Boost's codebase right now.
Boost.Document will be a totally new library and for some time you'll be
developing the library almost independently from Boost's codebase.

> I didn't understand what you meant by "own program".Could you
> please elaborate

I'd like to get a main.cpp file with a program that opens an office
document using some API of MS Office, Libre Office or Open Office. No need
to use Boost libraries.

This mini task will also help you with proposal: you'll estimate the volume
of work to do and you'll find out the capabilities of Office API.