Subject: [boost] Boost.Thread project for GSoC 2014
From: Haoyue Wang (whyzidane_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-05 22:06:08

Hi,

I am Haoyue, a PhD student in geophysics at MIT. I used C++11 to
write parallel finite element codes in my research and had some
coursework on concurrent programming.

Boost is such a powerful and efficient library. I sincerely hope I could
contribute to it this summer and beyond.

I am interested in the standalone GSoC Projects under Boost.Thread.
Particularly, the Work-Stealing-Thread-Pool project is a great one
that I expect to learn a lot from.

I understand that there could be much more to discuss once I have
a preliminary proposal. Here I just want to ask if I am heading in
the right direction.

I think a good point to start is chapter 6, 7, and 9 of the book C++
Concurrency in Action: Practical Multithreading and the Executors
and Schedulers revision 3 from http://www.open-std.org/.

I haven't used Executor before but I am ware of its existence in Java
for a while. Maybe I could go through some Executor and fork/join
Java examples to see how they are used in practice.

Finally, I will read and understand the executors codes on GitHub.

I hope I could put up a good first draft proposal next Monday.
If there is any advice, please let me know.

Haoyue Wang