Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Thread project for GSoC 2014
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-07 02:09:53

Le 07/03/14 06:16, Haoyue Wang a écrit :
> Hi Vicente,
>
> Thanks for your detailed reply. Here is some more background about me.
>
>> Are you familiar with thread-safe lock based data-structures?
> Yes. I am comfortable with the implementation and usage of thread-safe lock
> based data structures such as queue, stack, list, and map.
Do you have an thread-safe implementation of a map? Which
synchronization mechanism do you use? The ones in Boost.Thread? Can you
send it to me privately?
>> lock-free data structures?
> No. But I can learn <atomic> quickly.
> Is lock-free data structures going to be used a lot for this project?
The work-stealing thread pool would have less contention if we use a
lock-free dequeue. Of course, we can use Boost.LockFree if it provides
already whatever we need.
>> Which compiler(s) are you using?
> gcc 4.8/Apple LLVM version 5.0
>> Which platform(s)?
> Linux/Mac OS X
>> Do you use already Boost?
> Only a bit.
Do you know how to build on Boost? How to run tests? How to build a
quickbook?

> Following your suggestion, I will proceed to implement a prototype of
> a thread pool having specific queue for each thread that make use
> of the sync_queue in Boost.Thread as part of my proposal. Hopefully,
> it will be in shape next week.

Great.

Vicente