Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Compute v0.1 Released
From: Rhys Ulerich (rhys.ulerich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-16 21:10:57

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 7:03 PM, Kyle Lutz <kyle.r.lutz_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Boost.Compute is a GPGPU and parallel-programming library based on
> OpenCL. It provides an STL-like API and implements many common
> containers (e.g. vector<T>, array<T, N>) as well as many common
> algorithms (e.g. sort(), accumulate(), transform()). A full list can
> be found in the header reference [3].

Besides the OpenGL niceness and STLishness, is there a reason to
prefer Boost.Compute over alternatives targeted at OpenCL/CUDA
numerics? There's already been much work in this space [1],
including VexCL [2] which many of my collaborators like. While there
is an answer in the FAQ [3], it seems dodgy as clearly VexCL could not
presently be built on Boost.Compute since the latter does not support
for CUDA while the former does.

- Rhys

[1] http://arxiv.org/abs/1212.6326
[2] https://github.com/ddemidov/vexcl