Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC 2014 - Functional - Monad
From: Ding Xiangfei (a0113627_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-20 17:07:04

Vicente J. Botet Escriba <vicente.botet <at> wanadoo.fr> writes:

> Le 17/03/14 08:46, Ding Xiangfei a écrit :
> > Hello, Vincete,
> >
> > Thank you for the previous advice. Based on the ideas I had, I have
written a draft proposal for this
> project. The Google Doc link is as follow:
> >
> > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sdgO63-
SFo9IhPvfcwNSrwVEey9Pl9V9ftmZDPzrqO4/edit?usp=sharing

> > As the proposal is not final and I am still thinking about any new
ideas about monads, I would like to invite
> you for comments and evaluation on
> > the manageability and viability of this project.
> >
> > Besides, I also added some experimental features that I would like to
make during (hopfully) or after this
> summer. Comments on these features are
> > also appreciated.
> >

> Hi,
>
> there is something I find incoherent on the prose. Fisrt you say "the
> conception of monads allows functional programming languages to perform
> a sequence of instructions just as imperative languages. Last you say
> that "monads will simplify function chaining and exception handling when
> the code is written in a functional fashion".
>
> C++ is a multi-paradigm language that supports already the imperative
> style and a clean exception handling machinery. How monads can help C++?
> Why it would be worth to write programms in C++ in a functional monadic
> style? To be able to perform a sequence of instructions? C++ has already
> all that.
> Why monads style will be useful in C++?
>
> How do you plan to "simplify type resolution and compile time"?
>
> Could you tell more about "dynamic typing of monads"?
>
> Could you elaborate on the operations the monads you plan to provide
> will support?
> In addition to monad operations do you plan to provide other? e.g. what
> list operations? Waat do you mean by asynchronous function chaining?
> Error-handling?
>
> Could you show an example of user code making use of monads interface?
>
> Could you show an example of developer code making a type behave as a
monad?

> Do you plan to use CRTP? Do you plan to use dynamic polymorphism?
>
> What kind of performance would you evaluate? And to which alternative
> would you compare? Do you have already an idea of the bechmarks 1 and 2?
>
> Having a concept without associated algorithms is not too useful. Do you
> have examples of algorithms that build on top of the monads interface?
>
> Do you think that you will be able to finish with a Boost ready for
> review library at the end of the program?
>
> Globally your proposal could be improved a lot by adding more detail.
>
> HTH,
> Vicente

Hello Vicente,

  Thank you very much for your valuable advice. As I am amending the
proposal I will give some examples of the interface and algorithms running
on it.
  In order to make the project more manageable, I decided not to go too
ambitious and trimmed out the part on 'dynamic typing' (because I think that
it is trivial at this moment) and trying to increase type-resolution
efficiency to make sure things just work nicely before the end of summer.

Regards,
Ding Xiangfei