Subject: Re: [boost] Post-git forking process
From: Bjorn Reese (breese_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-27 08:42:43

On 11/23/2013 12:55 AM, Nathan Crookston wrote:

> Okay, I actually just tried this and it worked just fine. My steps were:

I just went through the exercise and believe that there are some
mistakes in the description.

> 1. Fork boostorg/boost
> 2. Clone *just* boostorg/boost, not all the sub-projects (as this will fail):
> - `git clone git_at_[hidden]:boostorg/boost.git modular-boost`

You should clone ncrookston/boost, not boostorg/boost.

> 2.5 (Optional) Create a branch (I called mine 'updated')
> 3. Edit .gitmodules and change all the relative URLs to absolute, SSH
> or HTTPS (whichever kind you or your company firewall likes).
> - I ran `:%s/\.\./https:\/\/github.com\/boostorg\/utility.git/g` in
> vim to use https.

The "utility.git" part should be omitted, otherwise all URLs will
contain it. I used the following command to modify the file:

sed --in-place=.bak -e 's/\.\./https:\/\/github.com\/boostorg\//g'
.gitmodules

> 3. Fork the particular repos you want to apply patches to:
> - For this example, I forked 'range'.

Minor comment: bullet numbering is wrong.

If my observations are correct, then it may be a good idea to update:

   https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/StartModPatchAndPullReq