Subject: Re: [boost] Is Boost dead? [Re: Anyone is interested in being
From: Sebastian Theophil (stheophil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-09 04:23:30

> The dev list is down about 30% 2011 onwards as against before 2011.
>
> Monthly commits to Boost are about 500 per month since 2011 as
> compared to about 1000 per month before 2011.

Niall,

don't forget that the marginal usefulness of every new contribution might be shrinking.

Many Boost libraries were essential for C++03 users but become less useful once you've migrated to C++11. They were testing grounds for new standard features. The better the standard library, and the better the programming language itself, the less need there will be for an extensive library as boost.

Seen through that lens, a dying boost library might be a good sign. Though I don't actually believe the dying part yet. There are still many useful libraries in boost that haven't made it into the standard. There are even more libraries I'd like to be included in boost, thus becoming default choices, even if they can never make it into the standard.

Regards
Sebastian

--
Dr. Sebastian Theophil | stheophil_at_[hidden]
Senior Software Engineer