Subject: Re: [boost] Standalone boost::ignore_unused_variable_warning()
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-19 10:40:05

Hi,

> Adam Wulkiewicz wrote:
>
>> I requested a pull for unused_variable:
>> https://github.com/boostorg/utility/pull/8
>>

> It should be just ignore_unused_variable, IMO. It doesn't ignore the
> warning, it suppresses or avoids it.

To be semantically correct it could be named use_variable() or
use_variables(). Or just unused_variable() / unused_variables() meaning
"hey! those are unused variables!". And if the name was changed we might as
well consider putting it in the different namespace, e.g.
boost::utility::unused_variables().

The currently used name is for backward compatibility. We can change it or
provide both and deprecate the old one.
Or just leave currently defined one in the ConceptCheck but in this case
this pull request has less sense than it could.

Regards,
Adam