Subject: Re: [boost] Standalone boost::ignore_unused_variable_warning()
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-19 10:48:12

On Monday 19 May 2014 16:40:05 Adam Wulkiewicz wrote:
> Hi,

> > Adam Wulkiewicz wrote:
> >> I requested a pull for unused_variable:
> >> https://github.com/boostorg/utility/pull/8
> >
> > It should be just ignore_unused_variable, IMO. It doesn't ignore the
> > warning, it suppresses or avoids it.
>
> To be semantically correct it could be named use_variable() or
> use_variables(). Or just unused_variable() / unused_variables() meaning
> "hey! those are unused variables!". And if the name was changed we might as
> well consider putting it in the different namespace, e.g.
> boost::utility::unused_variables().
>
> The currently used name is for backward compatibility. We can change it or
> provide both and deprecate the old one.
> Or just leave currently defined one in the ConceptCheck but in this case
> this pull request has less sense than it could.

I'm in favor of renaming. ignore_unused_variable or
suppress_unused_variable_warning looks more appealing to me. use_variable
means "do something with it" to me, which is not the intention of the
component.

Is this a documented feature of ConceptCheck? If not, backward compatibility
is not an issue.