Subject: Re: [boost] [ANN] libstudxml - modern XML API for C++
From: Greg Rubino (bibil.thaysose_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-21 11:39:09

Hi,

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Stefan Seefeld <stefan_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> I have always strongly argued against the idea that an "XML API" was
> only about parsing XML data, as there are many useful features that
> involve manipulation of XML data (including transformations between
> documents, xpath-based search, etc.).
> I have also argued that re-implementing all that functionality from
> scratch is foolish with so many existing implementations, so any
> boost.xml project should focus on wrapping such implementations, rather
> than reinventing them. In fact, I believe such an API should be robust
> enough to be able to wrap different backends, rather than depending on a
> particular implementation choice.

I agree with that sentiment completely. Different implementations have
different strengths and weaknesses. I generally choose pugixml, but I
understand Xerces is also very popular. Boost.Multiprecision is a good
example of this kind of library, but, like Boost.Multiprecision, I'd say
there should be a "default" implementation included with the Boost.XML
library in the case where the user doesn't want to add another dependency
besides Boost. I guess there are also wrapper type libraries like
Boost.MPI, which don't really lend themselves to a default implementation,
but I'd argue that XML is standardized well enough that a default
implementation is appropriate. Just thought I'd throw in my 0.02.
 -g