Subject: Re: [boost] [ANN] libstudxml - modern XML API for C++
From: Boris Kolpackov (boris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-21 16:06:10

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Seefeld <stefan_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Just think of someone wanting to write an XML editor...

Quoting my presentation verbatim: "If you are writing an XML editor,
your needs are not common".

> But you are pushing down the road of yet another implementation of XML,
> which I strongly object to.

Actually, libstudxml is based on the existing XML parser (Expat) and
even XML serializer (SAX). See Implementation Notes[1] for details.

> Have you looked at existing XML libraries before you started libstudxml?

Oh, yes, I've been looking at existing C++ XML libraries for the past
10 years. Let's be honest, they are all pretty bad.

> Did you know about Boost.XML

Strictly speaking there is no Boost.XML. There are periodic attempts
to have one but they seldom go past the SAX vs DOM debate.

> or Arabica ?

Same old SAX and DOM. I think this debate can go on forever so let's
just agree that some people prefer DOM, some are pretty happy with
SAX, and some would prefer something more convenient and light-weight
like a streaming pull parser. I am with the last group.

[1] http://codesynthesis.com/projects/libstudxml/doc/intro.xhtml#6

Boris