Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal: Boost.Core
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-01 12:11:52

On Sunday 01 June 2014 18:34:01 Peter Dimov wrote:
> Andrey Semashev wrote:
> > How about moving:
> > - utility/empty_deleter.hpp
> > - utility/explicit_operator_bool.hpp
> > - utility/swap.hpp
>
> I was going where dependencies took me, and didn't stumble upon these three.
> Of them, explicit_operator_bool is a no-brainer for inclusion per all
> criteria. The other two are more in the gray. empty_deleter is only used by
> log; swap is more widely used, but avoiding it as a dependency is trivial,
> one just writes using std::swap; std::swap( x, y ) instead of boost::swap(
> x, y ).

That actually exposes ADL bugs in some compilers (MSVC, if I'm not mistaken).
So there still may be a reason to use boost::swap.

> Still, they all probably do belong in Core. I'd be much happier if
> empty_deleter is called null_deleter though. empty_deleter always makes me
> think of empty deleter optimizations, and null_deleter, while not
> necessarily a better name, does have an established meaning.

Do you think we should rename it even though it is already
released/documented?

> (Also, op()
> needs to be templated on T*, because it doesn't support shared_ptr<void(),
> null_deleter> now.)

Hmm, I was trying to avoid a template instantiation. Probably not worth it,
can be changed no problem.

> > cstdint.hpp, I think, should go into Boost.Config.
>
> Either way is fine with me. I would personally have put it into Core because
> I think that there's been much pressure recently to fit all kinds of things
> into Config just because it was the only core library until now. But
> cstdint.hpp _is_ a workaround header. So... whichever. Let's just decide
> quickly and move it somewhere. :-)

I think it's decided already - John agreed and noone objected.