Subject: Re: [boost] Let's not forget the release
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-08 08:19:37

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 8:05 AM, Daniel James <dnljms_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 8 June 2014 12:55, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Daniel James wrote:

> is a
> the >
> >>
> >> We still need a way to include non-breaking changes from submodules.
> >

> > Do you mean an automated way?
>
> In whatever way works.
>
> > If so, and if this requires modules to not
> > update their master branches while a release is in progress... what was
> the
> > point of the whole exercise?
>
> We change the process in the future if we want, but right now, we've
> got more than enough on our plates.

We don't have a viable release process in place yet, so we are going to
have to make at least minimal changes.

Straw man proposal:

* On the 16th, (i.e. little more than a week from now) we turn off
automatic sub-module master updates.
* From that point until the release ships, a new library master release
(with bug fixes only!) may be added manually to the Boost release by the
release managers at their discretion. They have to be asked explicitly.
* When the release ships, auto sub-module updates are turned back on.

--Beman