Subject: Re: [boost] date_time -> serialization (Was: spirtit -> serialization)
From: Julian Gonggrijp (j.gonggrijp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-17 05:38:15

Bjørn Roald wrote:

> On 06/17/2014 01:45 AM, Julian Gonggrijp wrote:
>
>> So how about this: we work with two files. For now, let's call them
>> conditional_deps.txt and deps_cache.txt. Both are optional and
>> versioned if present.
>
> A word of caution. I know very well the temptation to check in derived data, but I also know the pitfalls. It is not worth the risk. Find some other way to store and access the cache. The wrong version of the derived data will end up in commits, and you lose.

Andrey and you have convinced me that the cache should not be stored in
the individual modules. However, I think storing the cache in the
superproject is better than storing it in a separate web service. As
long as all superproject maintainers (which if I'm right is a small
number of people) install the commit hook, version mismatches should
not occur.

> Most people have an Internet connection, could the cache lookup be based on git commit sha1, and fetch the cache from some known base URL on the web?

It could, but then we would have two problems.

-Julian